Fabric tennis shoes are a popular and comfortable footwear choice, but they can quickly become dirty and stained with regular wear. Fortunately, cleaning fabric tennis shoes is a fairly straightforward process. In this article, we‘ll provide you with step-by-step instructions on how to clean your fabric tennis shoes and keep them looking fresh.
Guide How to Clean Fabric Tennis Shoes
Step 1: Gather Your Supplies
Before you begin cleaning your fabric tennis shoes, you’ll need to gather a few supplies. Here’s what you’ll need:
- A soft-bristled brush or clean cloth
- Mild laundry detergent or dish soap
- A bowl or bucket
- Paper towels or a clean cloth
Optional supplies include:
- A specialized shoe cleaner
- A fabric protectant spray
Step 2: Remove Loose Dirt and Debris
The first step on how to clean fabric tennis shoes is to remove any loose dirt and debris. Use a soft-bristled brush or a dry cloth to gently brush away any dirt, dust, or other debris on the shoes. You can also use a damp cloth to wipe away any visible stains or spots.
Step 3: Mix a Cleaning Solution
Next, you’ll need to mix a cleaning solution to remove any remaining dirt and stains. In a bowl or bucket, mix a small amount of mild laundry detergent or dish soap with water. Alternatively, you can use a specialized shoe cleaner according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Step 4: Apply the Cleaning Solution
Dip the soft-bristled brush or a clean cloth into the cleaning solution and gently scrub the fabric of the shoes. Be careful not to scrub too hard, as this can damage the fabric. Pay special attention to any areas with visible stains or discoloration.
Step 5: Rinse the Shoes
Once you’ve scrubbed the shoes with the cleaning solution, it’s time to rinse them. Rinse the shoes thoroughly with clean water to remove any soap residue. Make sure to rinse both the exterior and interior of the shoes.
Step 6: Dry the Shoes
After you’ve rinsed the shoes, you’ll need to dry them. Stuff the shoes with clean paper towels or a dry cloth to help them maintain their shape and absorb any excess moisture. Place the shoes in a well-ventilated area, away from direct sunlight or heat sources, and allow them to air dry completely.
Step 7: Apply a Fabric Protectant Spray
Once your shoes are dry, you can apply a fabric protectant spray to help keep them clean and prevent future stains. Simply spray the shoes evenly with the fabric protectant and allow them to dry completely before wearing them again.
Other Methods How to Clean Fabric Tennis Shoes
There are other methods how to clean fabric tennis shoes you can use. Here are a few alternative ways you can try:
- Baking soda and vinegar method: This method involves mixing equal parts baking soda and water to create a paste, applying the paste to the shoes, and scrubbing with a soft brush. After scrubbing, apply white vinegar to the shoes and scrub again. Rinse with water and let dry.
- Washing machine method: You can also wash your fabric tennis shoes in the washing machine using a gentle cycle and cold water. Be sure to remove the laces and any inserts before washing. Use a mild detergent and avoid using bleach or fabric softener. Let the shoes air dry completely.
- Toothpaste method: Apply toothpaste to the shoes and scrub gently with a soft-bristled brush. Rinse with water and let dry.
Note: It’s important to note that these alternative methods may not be suitable for all types of fabric or shoes. Always check the care instructions provided by the shoe manufacturer before attempting to clean your fabric tennis shoes, and test any cleaning solutions on a small, inconspicuous area first to make sure they won’t damage the fabric.
Tips to Keep Fabric Tennis Shoes Looking Fresh
Once you’ve cleaned your fabric tennis shoes, it’s important to take steps to keep them looking fresh and clean for as long as possible. Here are some tips to help you maintain your shoes:
- Use a fabric protectant spray: Applying a fabric protectant spray after cleaning your shoes can help repel water and stains, which can help keep them looking clean.
- Avoid wearing shoes in wet conditions: Wet conditions can cause your shoes to get dirty and stained. Try to avoid wearing your fabric tennis shoes in wet conditions, and always clean them thoroughly if they do get wet.
- Clean shoes regularly: Regular cleaning can help prevent dirt and stains from building up on your shoes. Try to clean your fabric tennis shoes at least once a month, or more frequently if you wear them often.
- Store shoes properly: Proper storage can help prevent damage and keep your shoes looking fresh. Store your shoes in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight, and avoid stacking or crushing them.
- Avoid using harsh chemicals: Harsh chemicals such as bleach or abrasive cleaners can damage the fabric of your shoes. Stick to gentle cleaners and avoid using anything that could cause damage.
- Keep shoes dry: Keeping your shoes dry can help prevent mold and mildew from forming, which can cause discoloration and damage to the fabric. Allow your shoes to air dry thoroughly before wearing them again.
Cleaning fabric tennis shoes is a simple process that can help prolong their lifespan and keep them looking new. By following the steps how to clean fabric tennis shoes outlined in this article, you can effectively remove dirt and stains from your shoes and keep them in top condition. Remember to always check the care instructions provided by the shoe manufacturer before attempting to clean your fabric tennis shoes, as some materials may require special cleaning techniques.